Well, it finally happened. One day I was minding my own business when I decided it was high time to organize and clean the guest room closet. I haven’t really bothered with the room since doing the ceiling back in January and rearranging the furniture.
As you can see on the dedicated page here, the closet was in pretty bad shape. Lots of crap, storage that didn’t really fit, and not a lot of space for clothes to actually hang for, you know, guests.
Before I could do much I needed to consolidate some of the crafty stuff (I’ll go through more thoroughly to donate/sell later). Luckily these bins that I used to gather things up for the garage sale came in very handy.
I pulled out the Ikea organizer, thinking it might be time to retire it. But instead, it migrated to the garage for now so I could use it for storing blankets and pillows.
The file cabinet was another story, I wanted that to go to the office but the singular problem with it was the top was somehow designed to hang off the back of the unit by a few extra inches. Which is annoying. So the next time he visits Dad is going to trim it with his table saw.
A large basket of clothes went to Goodwill and the nightstand from Salvation Army came out so I could take a look at all the toys/VHS tapes and decide what to do with them. Don’t ask yet, I haven’t a clue.
Finally, my GIANT basket of bags and purses came out and I pulled out every single purse or item I owned. It was, to be polite, a disaster zone.
More on that soon.
Once the closet was empty, I went ahead and took out the baseboards and then steam cleaned the carpet. I figured it would need the evening to dry which gave me time to work on the new storage solution.
Enter: the Ikea bookshelf.
I know, I know, I only have… 11 of them already. But now I have an even number!
I picked up the Expedit 2×4 unit in white as well as a few more boxes for storage. I got it assembled on Friday night and started planning how I was going to fill the cubbies. It would just fit in the closet by a few inches so I was prepared for it to become my bench/storage/closet unit for good.
I decided that a mix of fitted boxes and open storage was good so first I added the two darker blue bins I already had that hold all of my sheets. Since I only have queen sized beds they don’t really need to be labeled.
I picked up more bins at Ikea and figured the other spaces would just have DIY solutions or stay open.
Here’s how it turned out:
Top row left to right: paint and paint brushes, pillow cases, Mom’s sewing machine, queen sheets
Bottom row left to right: magazines and thread, scrapbook paper, stamps and felt, queen sheets
To finish up the room I pulled up the 2 rugs and steam cleaned the bit of the carpet that’s visible around the bed.
Now, I still have these 4 tubs, plus the VHS tapes, plus a ton more pictures AND all those bags/purses to sort through.
Well, at least I have some blog topics for the coming weeks!